10 Pupils in Yambol, Bulgaria Suffer from Food Poisoning

Ten kids attending the "Petko R. Slaveykov" school in Yambol have been accommodated in the toxicology department of the city's hospital, following a food poisoning they all experienced. It has been determined that the reason for the poisoning is the Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. 

A visit by the regional health agency discovered lack of personal hygiene among the staff, low hygiene in the school's cantine, and poor disinfection due to use of watered-down products. The chairwoman of the health agency Dr. Gencheva explained that during the check-up health workers were able to isolate the Staphylococcus aureus from the pharynx of three of the staff members in the cantine. But wait - there's more! Health workers were also able to isolate E.coli from the working spaces and the equipment. Thankfully, E.coli was not found in the children's systems. 

The first four out of the ten pupils were hospitalized on October 31st and were "joined" by their six other schoolmates the next morning. According to the headmaster of the school 174 children and 11 teachers ate in the school's cantine that day. The menu included a schnitzel, potato salad, and yogurt. 

Vasil Manev

Vasil Manev is a student in Computer Science and an aspiring columnist, studying in Heidelberg, Germany.

Comments (0)

Like Our Page on Facebook

Like our page to make sure you see all of our NEW articles!

Click to

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Subscribe and stay informed about all important events!